Saturday, May 7, 2011

Harsh Ads

I noticed that insulting ads are very indirect and softly convey their message. However, it seems like some ads just GO FOR IT and do not care about the viewers feelings. Here's an example:



Even though this ad is hilarious, I still found it offensive. Why would Slim Fast do such a thing? It all comes down to psychology. If Slim Fast would have shown a photograph of a slim bride, with a big smile, with a corny headline that read "Look Good On Your Big Day," the viewer would not react to it and ignore it because they do not relate to it. Slim Fast was clever in using plastic dolls and not real people because although the insult is still there, it makes it funny and rememberable.

3 comments:

  1. Ads like this make people laugh and laughter is a good way to create interest. I agree if they had a more literal picture it would have been typical, boring, and would have been ignored as you said.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Slim Fast needs to consider their demographic a little better. Yes this image is funny and it will most likely make certain people laugh however its offensive nature can also have a negative impact specifically on those people who struggle with weight. There are better ways at creating motivating ads that don't offend people. #justsaying!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The bride did not fall through the cake because of her weight, she is eating her way through it.

    ReplyDelete