Friday, June 3, 2011

Facebook Ads?

I wonder, do companies really benefit from placing an ad on Facebook? When it comes to ads on websites, I RARELY click them. But why? I'm starting to understand that I see ads as a type of spam, always showing up but never really asked for. Companies are investing A LOT of money on these ads and it seems like they aren't worth it.

According to this blog, "The basic targeting options on Facebook are demographic; everything from gender to birthday. There is a keyword filter that is based on items from the profiles of Facebook users. That’s different from the search-based keywords of Google but it’s an interesting possibility if you’re looking for, say, fans of a particular rock band."

Apparently, they aren't targeting me very well because I can't care less about the ads. Something about them feel very generic and not very interesting. Maybe because I'm an Art major? lol.

2 comments:

  1. Everytime I see those ads on facebook I totally ignore them. I also do wonder if they really benefit from advertising on there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, whoever is running ChristianSingles.com clearly didn't catch the part where I'm a rather staunch atheist. And ChristianMingle.com. And a few others. I also wonder what good it does them to advertise random Graphic Design programs to me when I'm already enrolled in (a better) one.

    Advertisers themselves have fairly decent control of whom their ads get shown, so I'm not sure how I'm catching all these inapplicable ads.

    ReplyDelete